Chronicling my experiences with ruby on rails, web application development/management.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

passenger and the case of the non-redirecting account. -solved cause i'm dumb.......

Let me explain what is going on here. In my code I want the user to create an account (from www.domain.com) and then, upon successful creation of the account, I want them to redirect to the new account's url, at say account.domain.com.


Redirect doesn't happen in Production


I'm using Passenger and Apache on a ubuntu server.


On my dev box: Mongrel from the rails app, the usual script/server stuff


So on dev, it works fine. I get redirect with reckless abandon.

In production, a different story. I get the following error (using safari, yet to try with other browsers...).Safari can’t connect to the server.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.example69.com/accounts” because it could not connect to the server “www.example69.com”.

Why me? I should say, I can type my new url into the browser, no problem. it works fine, but it's not what I want my user's to have to do.


Did you solve this?


Embarrassingly I had a link to localhost:3000 as my redirect. Ignore this post. it's left as a reminder when i get too fucking cocky.... as a mark on my pride.

1 comment: